From What’s Now To What’s Next [May 1]
LPP is keeping a finger on the pulse of top industry headlines and conversations buzzing around social media, so you don't have to. Below is this week's round-up to serve as information and inspiration for discussions around real-time trends.
Did we miss anything? What are your thoughts on what’s happening this week?
- Earnings: Tech giants including Facebook announce earnings after the bell.
- #WHCD: Press gathered for the 2013 White House Correspondent’s Dinner, hosted by Conan O’Brien. POTUS gets hip with jokes.
- Netflix Purge: Nearly 2,000 titles will be pulled from Netflix as licensing agreements expire. Arrested Development might help smooth things over with users. How ironic.
- Internet of Things Standard: The protocol that powers Facebook Messenger (MQTT) has been chosen as the standard that will power the future of the Internet of Things.
- Coding is the New Black: Coding has been named among the must-have job skills for the future. Who wants to co-found “Camp Padawan,” for young hackers with me?
- Verizon Cloud: The company announced a Dropbox-like service for its Android subscribers.
- iBeetle: Apple and Volkswagen team up. Some ask, why?
- Jason Collins: Becomes the first openly gay professional sports athlete. Ghost Twitter handlers and real people alike share their support.
- LinkedIn: Updates profiles, lets users add photos, videos, powerpoints, resumes, comments and likes from other users. This is just after they announced new LinkedIn Contacts, an expanded search engine, @mentions in status updates, endorsements, mobile redesigns, influencer spotlights and a new Recruiter home page. Talk about being on a ROLL.
- Vine: Adds user mentions, better sharing capabilities and front-camera support.